To See or Not to See{short inspirational stories}

best short inspirational stories

The evening was hot, humid and the air was completely still as I walked my dog in the park.  The little pond was overgrown with weeds and the weeping willows looked saggy and sick.  There wasn’t a breath of air and absolutely no leaves were moving.  I looked around the tiny park and thought to myself that this had to be one of the ugliest parks around.  Why didn’t anyone do anything to take care of it or spruce it up a bit?  I walked the dog around our usual route and headed home quickly.  I couldn’t wait to leave the park.



The next day brought a much needed change to the weather.  It was about 10 degrees cooler, not too humid and there was a gentle and carefree breeze blowing.  Life was grand!



That evening I took my dog out for our nightly walk and headed to the same park again.  This time as I entered the park, the little pond looked radiant.  The weeds were somehow gone, replaced by lovely wildflowers and tall grasses blowing in the wind.  The weeping willow trees were grand and statuesque as their branches swayed gently in the breeze.  I began imagining how pretty the park would look in the fall with the leaves changing colors and the ducks swimming in the pond.  I knew it would be beautiful.



On this night I slowly lead my dog along our usual path, enjoying the smell of the breeze and the soft scent of the flowers.  I thought how lovely the park was and how nice it was that most of the foliage was allowed to grow as nature saw fit- untouched by human hands.



As I headed home for the evening, I thought how amazing our perception can be.  Even though it was only one day later the park had completely transformed, not because it had changed, but because my viewpoint had.  I thought about this lesson and wondered how many other things in my life I was seeing as old, ugly or useless that were patiently waiting for me to change my perception and see all of their beauty.  I realized that everything in my life has beauty if I will just look for it.  The beauty is always there.  It is my choice to see it or not.

Post a Comment

0 Comments