Samantha’s Amazing Power{Short Inspirational Story}

short stories


I’ve been telling my daughter, Samantha, since she was about 3 years old that she has an amazing power that allows her to do anything she puts her mind to and that her power comes from God.  As part of our bedtime ritual I ask her questions that make her repeat these truths.  I never saw any outward proof that she was taking these messages to heart.  Even so, I kept on repeating the message.



One day when Samantha was 5 we were at a new park that had a huge stack of rocks, you know, the kind that you loved to climb as a kid (and maybe still do).The stack of rocks was about 25 feet high and rather steep in places.  They did not look like an easy group of rocks to climb.  As soon as Samantha caught sight of the rocks she asked if she could climb them.  My reflex thought was that the rocks were way too high and too steep for such a little girl to climb.  Luckily, I suppressed my own fears and answered, “Yes, you may. Just be careful please.” That’s all she needed.  She was off like a shot and started her ascent.



Now, Samantha has been climbing everything since she learned to walk.  By 18 months she was climbing up the outside of the staircase in our house, by 3 she was scaling the door jambs in our house to reach the ceiling and by 4 she could easily climb a 10 to 15 foot rope.  She routinely climbed over things in her path rather than walk around them.  This child loved to climb!



As Samantha climbed I kept thinking, “You can do it.  Just keep going.”  Several times she seemed to get stuck.  Each time though she found a new way to proceed up the rocks.  Before I knew it she had reached the top!  She turned around and beamed down at me.  I clapped and gave her a thumbs up. Then she quickly climbed down the rocks in an almost effortless way.



When Samantha reached the bottom she bounded over to me so proud of herself. I scooped her up into a BIG hug and told her what a great job she had done.  She smiled broadly and asked me if I knew how she had climbed so high.  I told her no and then she told me the most wonderful thing.



“I used my amazing power- the one that God gave me!!”

I gave her an even bigger hug at that moment and tears welled up in my eyes.  My little girl had been listening and internalizing my messages without my knowing it.  I had continued telling her about her amazing power on faith and now I knew she believed me.

Post a Comment

0 Comments