It was bedtime{Short Inspirational Story}



It was bedtime for my girls.  I had just finished tucking little Rachael in for the night and I turned on her little music box.  I walked out of her room, crossed paths with my husband and headed to Samantha’s room for her final goodnight hug and kiss.

As I walked into Samantha’s room, she was sitting up in her bed with tears quietly streaming down her face.  Her tears at bedtime were a fairly common experience so I wasn’t shocked.  I sat down on her bed and asked her what was wrong.  I expected to hear something like, “I’m scared” or “I miss Daddy” or “I want you to stay with me, Mommy”.  Those were the usual excuses that she used.

On this night, however, my ego was a little too large.  Through long, gasping sobs she managed to say, “I miss Uncle Jonathan!!!” and burst into a torrent of tears. 

I laughed slightly as I hugged her, surprised that she missed her uncle so much.  He lived far away so she didn’t see him more than a few times each year at holidays, yet he was by far her favorite.  He hadn’t been visiting lately and she knew she would see him in a few weeks, but none of that mattered to her.  She truly missed him.

It was only 9pm so I walked over to the phone, picked it up and called Uncle Jonathan.
best inspirational stories


  I handed the phone to Samantha and prompted her to say hi as I heard her uncle answer.  As she managed to eek out, “Hi Uncle Jonathan, this is Samantha and I miss you,” I heard the surprise in his voice.  He told her he’d see her soon and that he loved her.  She said good night and hung up the phone. 

As I tucked her back into bed, I could see that she was much better.  She had a special connection with Uncle Jonathan that just required a quick phone call.

When I checked on her 5 minutes later she was sound asleep, dreaming of happy times I hoped.

Post a Comment

0 Comments